Chicago’s Regal Theater
- Clovis Semmes
White developers built the Regal Theater specifically for Chicago’s black community, which, beginning around 1916, had begun to rapidly expand as a result of the great migration of African Americans from the rural South to the urban North. The Regal was originally a motion-picture house, but later was best known for its live entertainment. Racial and commercial segregation restricted the movement of black consumers, but the Regal brought the very best entertainment talent into the black community regardless of race while catering to the sensibilities of an African American market. The theater opened its doors on 4 February 1928 on 47th and South Parkway formerly Grand Boulevard and currently Martin Luther King Jr Drive as part of the South Center business complex which contained 250 000 square feet of commercial space Besides the Regal this property included the Savoy Ballroom the South Center Department Store and other businesses ...