Welcome to Oxford African American Studies Center
- The Oxford African American Studies Center provides students, scholars and librarians with more than 20,000 articles by top scholars in the field
- Over 2,500 images, more than 700 primary sources with specially written commentaries, and nearly 200 maps have been collected to enhance this reference content
- Discover over 60 "Focus On" articles which feature essays, photographic essays, and a selected list of articles that will further guide the reader here.
Initiative on African American Psychologists
Starting in spring 2023, AASC will be publishing a series of new articles about African Americans in the field of Psychology, edited by Norman B. Anderson and Helen A. Neville. Find out more.
Linda James Myers
Read more about the life of Linda James Myers an American psychologist responsible for developing a theory of optimal psychology. Find out more.
Latest blog articles
- Why War Stories Could Reinjure Those Affected
- Nine Books To Read For Black History Month [reading list]
- Celebrating Black History Month With America’s Top Musicians [playlist]
- Letters from the Antebellum
- W.E.B. Du Bois and the literature of upheaval
- Black Press: The advent of the first African American newspapers
- Celebrating African American inventors
- The African Camus
- Jazz lives in the African American National Biography
This month the African American Studies Center added 6 new articles and updated 15 entires as part of a new initiative on AASC to cover the major figures in the field of psychology. Explore the recently published articles now.
Letter From the Editor
"The following is an excerpt from Henry Louis Gates, Jr.’s The Black Church: This Is Our Story, This Is Our Song, the companion book for the PBS series The Black Church, premiering in February 2021..."
The Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography is a major biographical reference work covering the lives and legacies of notable Afro-descendants from the Caribbean and Latin American, men and women from all eras and walks of life.